Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Looking Back to the Good Old Days

Do you ever feel like half your day is spent in front of the computer screen? I know I do. Looking for activities to do in class, creating a test, recording grades - and that's only at school! Then I get home and need to check email, pay bills, shop for Christmas gifts, search for recipes, and, er, update our blog.

Well, today I was reminded of the good old days. Remember how in first grade there was that one special day when you got to go to the computer lab and do fun things like paint and practice typing your name? Then second and third grade came around and you were blessed with two computer lab days: plenty of time to get your math facts down with Number Munchers! Fourth and fifth grade, I know, were most students' favorite computer lab years because of the original Oregon Trail game.

At work today one of my colleagues gave me resources for teaching John Steinbeck's "The Pearl" ON A FLOPPY DISK! We weren't able to find any way to retrieve the resources from the dated data receptacle, but it really took me back.

2 comments:

Our family... said...

I remember the Oregon Trail!!! I played that way back in 1987!!! Whoa.

John, Renee, Levi, and Emerson said...

Gotta love the good old days!