Sunday, September 16, 2012

Book Review - Whispers in the Wind

I recently signed up to do book reviews for Bethany House. They send you an email every 6-8 weeks with a list of books, you choose one that you would like to read and write an honest review for, and if you're picked, they send you that book for free! So, here's my first review:



I read Lauraine Snelling's Red River of the North series years ago and really liked it, so I was excited to read another one of her books. This book focuses on Cassie Lockwood, a former Wild West Show trick shooter, and her new life on a South Dakota ranch that her father had helped settle and later had dreamt of returning to. The Engstrom family, who have lived on the ranch from the beginning, take her & her companions in and help them settle into the community. The story tells of Cassie's gradual learning to rely on God to provide through various means and her various relationships with the Engstrom family members as they get used to the idea of the ranch not being their own.

Overall, I found the book's pace to be a little slow. There was lots of character development which I think will lead to a love triangle in the third book, but a strong ending which Snelling has had in at least some of her previous books was missing from this one. That being said, the character development did keep me reading and I probably will one day read book #3 to find out what happens with Cassie and the Engstroms.

1 comment:

Our Home to Yours said...

Ooooh! You got to read this one.. so fun!