Friday, June 20, 2014

A Few Things From Life

One of the places that intrigues me the most around here is the grocery store.  Every store and its contents vary depending on the neighborhood and the wealth of the people who usually shop there.  It really is incredible to compare the grocery store across the street and the grocery store two miles away - so very very different.

Sometimes, however, the different ingredients remind me that I'm not in the U.S. anymore.  Like today - I've been planning on making John & Benjamin a Creamsicle cake for their birthdays forever.  The big issue was always the ladyfinger biscuits - had I found the right ones? - until today when I couldn't find orange sherbet.  ORANGE SHERBET!  Never thought that would be a problem.  Other things I haven't been able to find - Hidden Valley Ranch dressing, Hershey's chocolate syrup, tater tots, and almond bark.

The other life thing I thought I'd share is this short article about how tower cranes are built:

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/explainer/2012/05/tower_crane_building_one_world_trade_center_how_do_cranes_get_on_top_of_skyscrapers_.html

There are currently 8 cranes visible from around our building, but it wasn't until today that we finally got around to looking up how they get up so high.

No comments: