Saturday, November 8, 2008

Back to the "Dark" Ages

This afternoon John plugged in a second space heater, and our apartment went dark. We blew a circuit. Normally it would be no big deal, and at the time it wasn't a big deal. The circuit box for the lights is in our landlord's garage. She said she'd be home in an hour or two, so we said no problem. We'd wait. The lights in the bathroom, the study, and the laundry nook still worked, as well as the light above the oven. Plus, our nice big window over the kitchen sink and the other window in our bedroom were providing light, so it wasn't really a problem. John continued to study and I started cooking.

It's now 2 1/2 hours later. The sun set awhile back, and it's DARK down here. I've been feeling like a woman from the pioneering days with my "lantern" above the stove - washed the dishes using my sense of touch to make sure they were clean! Ironic how I was making Parmesan potatoes and chicken pot pie for dinner; those are dishes that have definitely been around for awhile - perhaps made by pioneers. The living room is currently covered with clean clothes, as there's light in the laundry nook for folding them but no light in our bedroom for putting them away!

Am I complaining? I sure hope it doesn't sound that way. It's been pretty fun. However, I do hope our landlord comes home in time to flip the switch so that we'll have light when our dinner guest arrives...

1 comment:

Our family... said...

Hello, my friend,
I hope your power has returned now... you'll have to post an update or we'll all worry about you... poor John and Charlotte kept in the dark ages. :)