Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Just Another Day on the Job...

For those of you who don't know, I'm working as a cook. My area is the forno oven - similar to one of the Italian dome ovens that's heated by wood, often used for cooking pizzas. I make pizzas, roasted chicken, barbecue ribs, cajun chicken, roasted potato salad, spinach dip & flatbread, naan, and desserts. Anyways, most days are pretty uneventful and safe.
Not this evening, though.

Got to work this evening, threw a log into the fire, and grabbed the metal paddle that is used to reach food that's too far in the oven to reach with tongs. To my hand's surprise, the paddle was HOT! My hand let go of the paddle (that had been hanging on the wall), which of course meant the paddle fell, hit my head, and then clamored to the floor.

My hand and face HURT. The manager who noticed me stooped next to the sani-bucket with my hand in it told me I was bleeding, but all I could feel was stinging. Eventually I was taken to the back, shown the deep cut near my eye, given burn cream to rub into my hand, and sent to a walk-in clinic.

The first words out of the doctor's mouth - after I told him what happened - were "You are lucky." He said that three or four more times. "You could have lost your eye."

Praise the Lord for keeping me safe. Yeah, my right palm and fingers are burnt (I'm one-finger typing right now with my left hand), I have two big burn marks on my face, and two cuts that have been glued together (the manager at Earl's thought I was going to need a stitch or two), but I have two eyes that can both see.

Oh - why was the paddle hot? One of the other cooks had cooked something and forgot to take the paddle out. It was in the oven for 15+ minutes. He eventually took it out using towels and hung it up on the wall - not thinking that the next person to come along wouldn't know it was so hot.

3 comments:

Our family... said...

You have beautiful eyes, has anyone ever told you that?

I am glad you can still see (so you can read and comment on my blog!)... and I hope you heal quickly. :)

Love ya.

Barb said...

Oh, Charlotte... I am so sorry for you. I know how painful burns are and I can't stop thinking about you and praying for you. You do have beautiful eyes! I know that your eyes are the first thing that John told me about when he first met you!

Love you and miss you.

Sarah said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!! Charlotte, I am so, so sorry for you! And soooooo thankful with you too! The Lord certainly had his angels protecting you! Whoa - 15+ mins in that blazing hot oven - and then on your hands and face - I'm just cringing! I hope you are feeling better. I can imagine that it still really hurts. I'm praying for you!

Oh, and I have to second what mom said, your eyes were one of the first thing John told me about too! (It was your speech when you had a headdress on that covered all but your eyes - which were incredibly beautiful, amazing etc, etc...)