Saturday, January 24, 2009

Skiing at Cypress Mountain

We went downhill skiing yesterday at Cypress. It was a beautiful day - the snow was good, the air was warm, and we were on the slopes! The view was also great. You can actually see downtown Vancouver from the top. It's incredible how close the mountains are to Vancouver and vice versa.

After a few runs, I realized the main reason why I like downhill skiing. I like watching John ski. He's good. When he skis, he looks so natural and graceful. He's able to stop at basically any point he wants. He can go off jumps and go down black diamonds. Like I said, he's good.

I, on the other hand, go down the hill with all my focus being on staying in control. Of course that doesn't always happen - which meant I fell five times yesterday. It's funny. I see someone fall ahead of me and all I can think is "How do I avoid that person?" John sees someone fall and he goes over, quickly stops right in front of her and helps her up by actually pulling her up with his pole!

On the slopes at Cypress Mountain:


We packed a lunch and actually ate it at the foot of the 2010 Olympics Freestyle Skiing hill! (If anyone is interested in attending this event, it is going to have an incredible viewing area, as the parking lot starts less than a meter away from where John is sitting.)


John could have probably skied until the mountain closed at 10 p.m., but I was exhausted by the end of the afternoon!

3 comments:

Our family... said...

Hi Arlo,
This is a comment not about this post, but about the music on your blog... specifically the music from the movie Two Weeks Notice. Franklin and I both think you are hilarious!!! Do you realize that the first time you saw that movie was with us in Mountainview? So, everytime we listen, we laugh and think extremely positive thoughts about you!
Love you,
Orin

Our family... said...

...oops, not Two Weeks Notice but Music And Lyrics.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean... John is good! I used to feel the same way skiing with him. I'm happy you had a great day. There's nothing like the satisfied exhaustion after a good day on the slopes.