Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Living with Two Official Posted Languages

When checking out a movie from the library last weekend, I was a little confused. The cover said the title was "27 Dresses 27 Robes", but I remembered it being only "27 Dresses" when I had seen it on an airplane. It was just a quizzical thought in my head until Sunday night when we watched it. I commented on the long title, and was then kindly reminded by my husband that the title was written in English and in French!

It's funny when John goes into the frozen section of the grocery store with me. He always says contemplatively, "I wonder what raisin juice would taste like." Again - the French! It's just grape juice, but all the juice cylinders are turned with the English writing pointing in.

Living with bilingual labels isn't hard at all - it just creates some laughs when one language's words hold meaning in the other language.

1 comment:

Our family... said...

That's funny.

I love reading your observations of Canada.

It must be an exciting thing to have access to all the thoughts in your brain. :)