Thursday, December 9, 2010

Honest Ed's

Both of my brothers have recently asked for more blog posts about US! I think it's their nice way of saying, "You two have been a bit boring lately." At least that is how I feel about our lives in the last while. Sure, John went to Atlanta and I've visited family & friends, but here in Toronto our life does not contain much excitement.

Why? I'm not very good at doing fun things when I don't really know a) what to do, and b) who to do them with. School keeps John very busy, especially since it's the end of the semester. He's in the middle of writing three 20+ page papers and studying for 2 finals. BUT yesterday and today are 12-16 hour days for him so he can (hopefully) have the entire weekend off! Yay!

Anyways, in order to post something semi-interesting, I went shopping this week.

It's been said that New York has Macy's and Toronto has Honest Ed's.


I would describe it like this: a building like Powell's bookstore in Portland, merchandise like a flea market, and rock-bottom prices. In other words, it's a store that takes up a complete block and that one could easily got lost in. You don't know what you're going to find in the store but you'll find more than enough. And the prices are low.

The store's founder is the late Ed Mervish, who opened it in 1948. The story goes that the store was mobbed on opening day and has only grown in popularity and size since. Really quite the rags to riches story, as he was a high school drop out but later became a millionaire.

It's a store that my dad would hate, my mom would find interesting, and my mother-in-law would love. We'll go there sometime Millie!

And Rob and Eric, sorry. I know shopping isn't quite your thing either, but at least this post has information about us and pictures I took just for you!

No comments: