Thursday, March 24, 2011

Mango Season!

I love a good mango.

At first, I didn't. My first trip to Bangladesh had me leaving thinking mangoes taste slightly pine-y and my interest was gone. But the next time I went, oh my goodness. It was high mango season, and one day three of us decided we'd only eat mangoes all day. By the time dinner came around, we all had had enough, but my love for mangoes had not ended.

But what is a good mango? Sorry, but it's not one of those greenish-reddish Haden mangoes you find at grocery stores throughout the year. Of all those mangoes that I've bought, there was only one that was good.

No, the kind of mango you want is this - an Ataulfo Mango. (There are actually hundreds of kinds of mangoes in the world, but I've only seen a few sold in the North American grocery stores I've been to, and these are definitely the best.) It's sweet and no mango strings can be found within.


The way I determine if it's nice and ripe is by the look and feel. I go for a yellow without brown spots mango that has a little give but not much.

photo courtsey of the blog lipsmacking

We call this the porcupine cut. It's a very easy but nice-looking way to serve mango. Or you can cut it in thirds, slice up the mango from the two sides, and chew on the seed!

For those of you who share my love for the mango, here's an amazingly simple and delicious recipe for a mango coconut sorbet from Moosewood's cookbook Simple Suppers:

Slice up 2 mangos and put in blender. Add 1 cup coconut milk (I used light since it was in our cupboard) and 1/4 cup sugar. Blend. Pour into 2 ice cube trays and freeze. When ready to eat, let thaw for 5-10 minutes. Then blend so it's a bit chunky. Enjoy!

1 comment:

The Werners said...

Yummy! I just introduced Levi to mango this week and he agrees. And mixed with coconut milk, how can you go wrong. :)