Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Helena says... (Part Two)

Recently at a children's Bible study, Helena learned the story of Abraham and God's promise to him. We went over the story with her, and we connected the story to her memory verse from the study: "I trust in your word" (Psalm 119:42). God promised Abraham that he would have lots and lots of kids (as we put it), and Abraham trusted God's word; he trusted that God would do what he promised. And, of course, he did.

I also taught Helena the "Father Abraham" song (Father Abraham had many sons, many sons had father Abraham. I am one of them, and so are you, so let's all praise the Lord.). I like to change the word "sons" to "kids," to include daughters like Helena, and because its a better rendering of what God promised to Abraham anyways.

The other night at bedtime, I sang the Father Abraham song to Helena. Lying there in the dark, I tried to make the connection again for Helena. "Abraham trusted God's word."

To this, Helena promptly responded, "You didn't trust God's word, Daddy."

I was a bit taken aback by this bold assessment.

"I didn't? Why not?"

"You only have two kids."


1 comment:

The Werners said...

She is so smart!! I love hearing how their little minds are making sense of this world. Thanks for sharing!!