Monday, November 9, 2009

Tarnished Silver Jewelry? Read on...

Saturday night I went through my jewelry box, to reorganize it and to of course learn the depressing news of which earrings have lost their matches. Ugh.

Anyways, I have a few nice pieces of silver jewelry that were no longer wearable because they were so tarnished. In short, coal black. I decided it was time to take care of that because, well, what else does one have to do on a Saturday night?

Here's what you do:

Boil water. While it's getting hot, place a piece of aluminum foil in a glass pan and put the silver jewelry on it. Pour the boiling water over the jewelry. Then, sprinkle a little baking soda on top of the water. Now watch.

It's unbelievable. Within twenty seconds, the jewelry looked new again. You have to witness this chemical reaction!

Leave the jewelry in for five to ten minutes. Then, take it out and wash the jewelry with a bit of dish soap. Enjoy your shiny accessories!

1 comment:

John, Renee, Levi, and Emerson said...

Very good tip, Charlotte! I will have to use that one later when I have some time to go through my jewelry.