Sunday, May 1, 2011

Maybe you all have a life...

...or I must have really fooled all of you, since no one made a guess as to what the flat stuff is on John's sandwich. (Thanks to Erinn, though, for her comment!)

Anyways, the current sandwich of choice for John is one that includes smoked tofu. That's right. TOFU. We've been eating it for awhile in stir-fries. But last week we went to a farmer's market where gourmet tofu was being sold. Many of you are probably thinking - gourmet tofu? How can anything like that be gourmet? But this stuff is different than what you buy at the grocery store.

(Ignore this paragraph if you have no interest in tofu.) Legend goes that tofu was accidentally made when a Chinese cook was seasoning pureed soybean with sea salt. Sea salt contains Nigari, a coagulant, and the Nigari made the soybean turn into a flavorful curd - tofu! Tofu became a staple in Chinese diets. But when tofu began to be made by machines rather than by hand, calcium sulphate and calcium chloride were replaced for the Nigari.

We can say firsthand that this gourmet tofu is SO MUCH BETTER! We got some that was marinated in sweet & sour sauce and had it in a stir-fry. Delicious. John also chose the smoked tofu variety, which has the taste of bacon. In his opinion, it's better fried than not. Below is his current favorite: the TST - Tofu, spinach, & tomato sandwich.


In my opinion, if I'm going to eat something that tastes like meat, might as well eat meat. So I'm avoiding the smoked tofu and eating one of my favorite sandwiches, a grilled cheese on cinnamon raisin bread.

1 comment:

The Werners said...

I'm sorry I missed out on the game! I want to play but I want to play a tasting game, not just looking at pictures. :)