Thursday, November 17, 2011

Two things that make life easier in the U.S.

It's been awhile since I wrote anything about life in Canada.  That's probably because it has just become so normal for us.  We still do have moments in which we have no idea what others are talking about but now more of our focus is on how to live in the downtown of a very large city.  This led me to realize two things I really miss about the U.S.

1) Target - It seems to always have things in stock.  One thing I've learned about living and shopping downtown is merchandise goes quickly.  Not only are all the people who live downtown shopping in the downtown stores but so are all the people who work downtown.

For example, I went to the mall to find Helena a Christmas dress.  The Children's Place had 1/4 of the store full of 0-24 month Christmas outfits for girls.  Being the indecisive shopper that I am, I decided to talk to John about the ones I liked and then go back and buy one.  A week later I went back and there was a shelf about 2 1/2 feet long holding those same outfits.  Everything else had been sold!

2) Amazon.com - It's amazing how much shopping one does when she has a baby/has a new apartment to put together/has Christmas presents to buy/and more.  It would be so wonderful to just open up the internet, find the items I need (at lower prices too), and then have them arrive at my doorstep!  Amazon.ca has a LONG way to go...

But while those two things that make life simpler are missed, we are enjoying the community of university housing, all the free activities that we can now take part in, and being so much closer to friends.  So, despite the lack of easy shopping, we're liking city life!

No comments: