Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Passing of Time for Parents

When you have a baby, almost every parent that you come into contact with tells you, "Enjoy this as the time goes so fast."

It's true. I feel like it was only a couple weeks ago that Helena & I would lie on the bed and just look at each other, me because I was mesmerized and her because she couldn't get away from me if she wanted. She used to hold onto the dresser handles to help hold herself in a standing position, but now she stands in front of an open dresser drawer and pulls all the clothes out. Time does goes by quickly.

But nobody tells you how it also creeps by.

Like when your daughter has a fever for 5 days. The doctors say it's just a virus, nothing to be concerned about, but you can't help but be concerned the entire time. Those 5 days are very long. Or when she's supposed to be drinking cow's milk but nothing you do will entice her to take a sip. For days your mom mind is postulating that she'll never drink milk and she'll have weak bones and teeth and...suddenly she decides to drink the milk if you heat it so it's really good and warm.

So the time actually goes by quickly and slowly, but it doesn't matter which one it is at the time, in the end you wish you had that time back.

1 comment:

The Werners said...

Levi hated milk too! It took me 2 months to gradually increase the concentration. I started with 1/4 skim milk and 3/4 water. :) Before that I tried EVERYTHING (even chocolate syrup). :)