Thursday, April 5, 2012

Back from Oregon!

 We may still be on Pacific Standard Time, but Helena & I are back in Toronto.  We had a great visit with my side of the family (minus three) in Oregon.



Meeting my nephew Charlie was really nice.  Funny how Skype made it so I felt like I already knew him a little bit, but after hearing him laugh in person, listening to him say "olive" for the first time, watching him run around with his stuffed animal Ridges, now I know how much more there is to him!  He & Helena got along pretty well, as long as they weren't taking toys away from each other!


It was also really nice to see Eric, Kari, and Emma.  It didn't take long for Emma to warm up to me again, and it definitely didn't take long for her to start loving her cousin!




We definitely stayed busy.  For a few days we headed down to Eugene and shopped for Katie's wedding.  My mom found a great dress for July 7 and Helena found lots of fun mirrors.


Other random fun things we enjoyed: getting frozen yogurt,


playing at the park,


reading books,


and playing with Eric.  For some reason Helena LOVED her uncle.  He'd walk in the room and her eyes would light up and then follow him around the room.  After dinner she'd regularly walk over and sit in his lap.  She'd very willingly have him hold her.  She just couldn't get enough of him!



Charlie is very good with a spoon, so good that he fed Helena oatmeal twice!  Check out his skills - he doesn't even have to watch what he's doing!
 

My mom waited at the airport with Helena & me.  We both were first flying to Minneapolis, but her flight left 3 hours later.  We had a tearful goodbye at the gate, after which Helena & I settled into the plane.  A few minutes later, a flight attendant came up to me and said, "Your mom is getting on the plane, so we've set you guys up in the last row."  WHAT?  The Delta crew members had seen our goodbye, found out my mom was flying later, and then arranged for us to fly together at no fee.  We were so excited and are still so thankful!  


Thanks for letting us visit, Oregon family!  We look forward to seeing you again in July!

3 comments:

The Werners said...

What a great trip!! And wow, Delta sounds like a great airline. :) I missed your blog updates.

Our family... said...

How great that your mom got to fly with you! Did her luggage make it, too? :) Did she care? :)

Charlotte and John said...

Yes, her luggage did make it but it was all carry-on. I'm sure she wouldn't have cared in the slightest if it hadn't!