Tuesday, April 10, 2012

More lingo I've been learning

A number of weekends ago I went to a women's retreat for our church.  During one of the many conversations I had, the airport church came up.  With the title "airport church", I figured it was some church that was set up in the airport for travelers to visit.  After a few more verbal exchanges, however, this didn't seem right.  So I asked, "What's the airport church?"

Everyone looked at me..."The airport church?"...the stares continued as I nodded.  Suddenly -

"Oh yeah, you're American."

See, the airport church - originally Toronto Airport Christian Fellowship but now called Catch the Fire Toronto - is huge and the original sight (now there are 10 locations in Toronto) is right next to the airport.  Ten years ago, when it was really popular, people flew into Toronto just to go to the airport church.  It seems like all Christians in Canada but especially in Toronto (or so it seemed!) know about this church.  So to have someone - me - ask what it is threw everyone aback.  But then they remembered where I'm originally from and how I haven't lived here that long, and it all made sense.

--------

This same scenario happened just last week.  Two friends & I are planning a triple bridal shower at the church.  The other two had already made up an agenda, so I was reading through it while we made final plans.  I came upon this:

6:40 Play table game
6:50 Take up game

I wasn't quite sure why picking up the game needed to be on the agenda, so I began to ask questions.  Here's the condensed version of a 5-minute conversation and an email that followed:

C: So how long do you think it will take to take up the game?
F1: Oh, around 5 minutes. 
C's thoughts: FIVE MINUTES to pick up some papers from three or four tables?
C: Oh, so this is a more involved game than I had thought.
F2: It's pretty simple.  It's just questions on papers with people answering the questions.
C: So...what exactly do you mean by "take up the game"?
F1: I guess it's teacher lingo.  I'd say, "Okay students, let's take up yesterday's homework."
C:  Oh!  I'd say, "Okay students, let's take out yesterday's homework."
F1: Well, if the homework was in their desks I'd say, "Okay students, let's take out yesterday's homework so we can take it up."
C's thoughts: What in the world?
C: So when we take up the game at the shower, what is going to happen?
F1: We're going to go through the answers of the game and see who got which ones right.
C: Oh, so does "to take up" mean to correct?
F1: (looking at me like I am out of my mind) Yes...
C: Wow, I was completely lost there.  It must be a Canadian expression.
F2: Oh yeah!  You're not from here!  I was wondering what was so complicated!

Just to be clear, "to take up" means "to review, to correct."

So here's a question for all of you readers (both American and Canadian) - did you know that meaning for "to take up"?  And had you heard of "the airport church"?

2 comments:

The Werners said...

Both new terms to me. But I'm not the best Canadian rep (having grown up with a bunch of Americans and then marrying one). I think it's probably different from province to province.

Anonymous said...

I knew neither - Katie ;)