Thursday, January 21, 2010

Months & Menus

It's happened. I'm tired of cooking. This feeling of "ugh, what am I going to make for dinner?" has been popping up for awhile. See, I really prefer to either make really really good food OR try new things, make new recipes...and I've found that looking through our cookbooks and library magazines has started to lose its excitement. So what to do?

We're going to have a year of months and menus! Every month is going to have a theme, and we'll have food that fits within that theme at least 10 times each month. What about January you ask? January has been both a brainstorming month and a use-up-the-cupboard ingredients month. So here's the plan so far:

Fish February
Mexican March
Asian April
Meatless May
Soup, Salad & Grill Summer
__________ September
__________ October
__________ November
__________ December

Your help is obviously needed in thinking of more themes. No, alliteration is not mandatory; however, it doesn't hurt. But I'd actually love your help in my pursuit in a different way. If you have any recipes that fit within these categories that you really like and that you're willing to share, please send them my way! It's always fun to make food that friends/family recommend because then we know the recipe is good and it makes us think of them. I hope to post some recipes on the blog...but really, who knows what this year will bring! So, any ideas?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Spuds September?
Love,
Bonnie

Anonymous said...

Oeufs October? ("Oeuf" means egg in French.)
DONUT/DOUGHNUT DECEMBER! Wouldn't John LOVE that?
I'm still working on November . . .
Love,
Bonnie

Guntzel Girls said...

Well, if you wanted to be really exotic, you could try "Octopus October"...although I wouldn't recommend inviting many guests over that month. Or for something more mild, you might try "Octogenarian October," eating only foods served in nursing homes. Okay, so I obviously am short of ideas on this subject ;-), but I think having a theme for each month sounds really fun! I'll try to think of some more practical ideas to suggest later. Good luck!

~Amy~