Monday, June 13, 2011

A snack from Simple Suppers

We've tried five new recipes so far from Moosewood's Simple Suppers.

Some have been okay, some have been good, and these are great:


Sweet & Spicy Nuts

We're enjoying them right now as we watch the sixth game of the Stanley Cup Finals. In case any of you are planning on watching the Canucks win the seventh game, I thought I'd share the recipe:

1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
pinch of cayenne (optional)
3 cups shelled nuts

Preheat oven to 350. Oil baking sheet. In saucepan on medium-high heat, stir together the first six ingredients and 1/4 cup water. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer and stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat, add nuts, and stir until nuts are coated. Spread nuts on baking sheet. Bake until browned, 10 to 15 minutes, stirring once after 6 minutes. Stir again to break any clusters when they're taken out of the oven. Allow nuts to cool. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Sonia said...

I love the sweet and spicy nuts too! They were my (and my community group's) favorite treat to bring when it was my turn for snacks.

Did you change the amount of spices at all? I found that I needed to almost double the cinnamon and black pepper.

Charlotte and John said...

This was the first time I made them so I didn't play with the spices. However John felt like he could do with less spice and I thought the cardamom was maybe a little strong. Next time I'll try your adjustments!