Friday, September 16, 2011

Crock Pot Recipe #2: Slow Cooker Enchiladas


Source: I recently did a cookbook swap with a friend, so now I'm exploring the pages of Simply in Season. This recipe is for the summer, and since it was 83F at dinnertime on Tuesday, I'd say we were in season!

Recipe:
Slow Cooker Enchiladas
serves 6-8

1 lb. ground beef, turkey or venison
1 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
Cook together in a large skillet until meet is browned and vegetables are tender. Drain off fat.

2 cups cooked pinto or kidney beans
2 cups cooked black beans
2 cups tomatoes, chopped
1/3 cup water (1/4 if using summer squash)
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp pepper
1 cup summer squash or carrots, grated (opt.)
1 cup corn (opt.)
ground red pepper to taste
Add and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.


2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese or Monterey Jack cheese or a mix of the two
7 flour tortillas 6-7 inches

In a slow cooker layer about 1 cup meat-bean mix, one tortilla and 1/3 cup cheese. (In my 6-quart oval slow cooker, I did 2 cups, 2 tortillas, and 2/3 cup cheese, using a total of 6 tortillas.) Repeat to use all ingredients.


Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours or until heated through.
****Here's why I disagree with the recipe! 5-7 hours on low seemed like a very long time to heat up a mixture that was already completely cooked. So I planned on 5 hours on warm, it ended up being 6, and it was a tiny bit dry. If I make it again, I'll probably do 3-4 on warm.

Verdict:
John really liked this; I thought it was okay. We added salsa on top. If I were looking for a hot meal to have in the summer that did not require the oven to be turned on, I may turn to this recipe. If I do, I will at least double the spices.

No comments: