Monday, September 12, 2011

The Longboat Toronto Island Run

This Sunday held the much awaited event of the summer - John's running debut. We ran the Longboat Toronto Island 5K, and it was so much fun. Helena was part of the action too, as she rode along in our jogging stroller.

(stretching with Mommy)

The following consists of interviews with John taken before and after the race.

BEFORE:

What have you been doing to train for this race? I've been running every few days with my wife and daughter. My wife is my trainer and coach; she's good at pushing me to the limit. It's been a grueling 4 months but in this last week I've started to enjoy it.

What's your goal for the race? My goal is to finish under 30 minutes and to not throw up.

(Helena insisted that ballet slipper socks would be better than Keds for the race)

We finished with a time of 28:20! John was quite hot at the end, but after a half-dozen glasses of Gatorade, he was feeling fine.

AFTER:

How was the race for you? It was great. I had a blast. I can't believe I just did that. My wife is awesome; she pushed Helena in the stroller the whole way and still it was hard for me to keep up with her pace.

Will this be your debut AND your finale? Well, my season is over for this year but I'll be back next year. I definitely want to do the Toronto Island Run again.

Do you have any goals for next year? Yes. In next year's race I want to run 7 minute miles; if I do this, that would put me in the top three for my age range. By the way, this would also put Charlotte in the #1 spot for the females. Next year we are going to dominate!

(a running family)

I'm not sure about the whole domination idea, but on our way home John did say that Sunday was the highlight of his summer. Looks like we will be racing again next year!

4 comments:

Sonia said...

Way to go guys!!! John congrats on your first race! I was thinking it would be fun to run with you all, but if you are going for 7 minute miles, you are going to have to wait for me at the finish line. :) And yes, Helena, the ballet slipper socks were the right choice.

E&E said...

Nice job you guys! Doesn't it feel good to finish a race?!?

~Erinn

Anonymous said...

Charlotte, you should probably keep your legs straight when stretching. I don't think it does much good to have them bent.

Sarah said...

Way to go!!! p.s. I love the picture where it looks like John is running really hard and everyone else in the background is standing still! :)