Friday, August 5, 2011

Half a Year???

This little girl is 6 months old.


Let me tell you, she's letting us know she's 6 months too! She's curiously scooting all over the place. Today she discovered cords - which I immediately took away from her, told her "No", and moved her away from - then printer paper - which I took away and then moved her to the other side of the rug - and then the VCR - which I moved her away from and put a pillow in front of to hide it. The funny thing is that the entire scenario above took place in less than 2 minutes.

As a mother, I was feeling quite pleased that I had escaped vomit in the first 6 months. Well, wouldn't you know, on the day she turned 6 months we go to a wedding. We're walking into the wedding, which happens to be the wedding of my closest university friend, and which also happens to be starting in 4 minutes, and suddenly I am covered. Inside my dress, outside my dress, all over Helena's dress, everywhere. So, my perfume for the wedding was rice cereal with a trace of avocado. Ah, a mother's true scent.

Since then avocado has been out. Helena gets upset if it comes close to her face. But peas are good in small quantities. Pears, bananas, sweet potatoes, rice cereal - bring them on!

John & I are thrilled to see Helena feeling the different textures in "read & feel" books. We've been trying for months to get her to feel them with our help but she wanted no part of it. Today she was reaching for the dog's and rabbit's fur with no prompting, and she definitely didn't want the page turned. For some reason this seems like a really big jump in development to us. Her favorite book is "The Fire Engine Book." She grins through the entire thing and has twice started to cry when it was over but she could still see it.

It sure feels like she's growing up fast but we're enjoying every minute of it.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

uhg! and Yuck! and I feel so responsible somehow!
Oh Charlotte, I'm so sorry to hear that she threw everything up . . . and all over you . . . and such terrible timing!

Charlotte and John said...

Thanks Sarah for your sympathy but you weren't responsible! By the time my dress dried you couldn't tell unless you got nice and close to me and breathed deeply :)